Monday, July 24, 2017

Wendy's Layout in Janie's SIMPLY WHIMSICAL

Before I started work in Janie's Journal, I thought to myself how far I have grown when it comes to working in another artists journal. I remember my very first swap and the feeling of being so very nervous that I would make some sort of mistake in that person's journal. Then I looked down at the blank page in Janie's SIMPLY WHIMSICAL journal and couldn't wait to start experimenting...lol.

I gave the page a light layer of gesso and have wanting to try the 'streaking' or dragging effect for some time, so why not now! I can always paint over it if it doesn't turn out. After the gesso dried, I used a paint spatular to drag a few colours from top to bottom and bottom to top to get the streaking I was hoping for. Not quite happy with the way it was going by using the spatular, I ended up using a dry hard bristled brush and found this gave me the more smudgier look, which is what I was looking for. I then used a few stencils using the same paint colours that had already been placed on the background.

When I was happy with the background, the whimsical feeling arose when I thought about using some of my 'skatter cats'. I had recently used a few of these cats in another journal and as I save all my templates of anything I draw,,,yep!...too easy...I grabbed my skatter cats, gave them a bit more colour with some watercolour paints and they were ready to be placed on the page. I used a tacky glue to adhere them and then went round the cats with a wash on white paint and then highlighted then with a black watercolour pencil. The final touch was to write the word 'FRIENDS' above the middle skatter cats and my simply whimsical layout was finished. I really enjoyed just playing in Janie's journal and hope you all enjoy the outcome as well. Thank you.


P.S. I have also included the video below, if you would like to watch the whole process.


HAVE A GREAT DAY !!!!!

15 comments:

  1. Very cute Wendy and love how comfortable you are now working in the journal swap, it really does help grow you as an artist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, I really am finally comfortable xox

      Delete
  2. Very cute cats Wendy, & I love how you did the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colleen, the background was an experimental process but I think it turned out lovely xox

      Delete
  3. Great colourful page Wendy, and loved watching you put it together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Lisa, it was enjoyable xox

      Delete
  4. A great whimisical page Wendy. The colours and background look fabulous. I am sure Janie will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I think she will like it xox

      Delete
  5. A great whimisical page Wendy. The colours and background look fabulous. I am sure Janie will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your spread Wendy...perfect for Janie☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your whimsical characters Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever of you to save drawing templates! I love how the spread turned out

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for popping in to see our lovely journals as they are developing. We love to see your comments.