Saturday, September 1, 2018
You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth ... Meatloaf
I don't think we need the lyrics here because I'm sure, just like me, you all already have the whole song dancing around in your head! This is one of my favourite songs :)
Also bouncing around as I painted was Lambsy squeeling "it's the wolf, it's the wolf" ... then, because it just happens, I hear Mutley sniggering and Penelope calling "hyelp, hyelp" :) lol #thenuttyinsidesofmymind - I love all the old cartoons <3
So anyway, back to Lisa's beautiful book...
The background started as two colours of Distress Inks, Peacock Feathers and Salty Ocean. Its created from blending over and around each other using the Mini Ink Blending Tool, taking the ink straight from the inkpad.
I then spritzed the page with water (spray bottle) and let it dry in front of the heater. When its not so cold I use a heat-tool and when its summer, leave it outside in the sunshine!
I repeated this layer a second time, blending around and around until it was like a pretty blue sky.
For the third layer, I used Distress Oxide Inks in Broken China and Faded Jeans, blending everywhere, then splattered (flicking with wet fingers gives bigger drops than a spritz!) and let it dry again.
Next I blended around the outer edge (and a bit in the middle) with Distress Inks in Chipped Sapphire and Blueprint Sketch, spritzed and splattered more water, blended some more - then lastly, blended over more Peacock Feathers along the bottom and Chipped Sapphire along the top.
Jane Davenport Gesso was used to block out the two characters of my page... animals are always so much easier to do than people!
The rest of the painting happened without the camera witnessing the process!
The girl was painted using Jane Davenport Acrylic Paints. Having the fleshtone premixed helps alot... I used to waste so much paint trying to mix skin colours (everyone would end up being orange or pink).
The moon was dry brushed using gesso and the wording was drawn by hand using a black marker.
My lovely wolf (oooh, I've just noticed I missed putting his tooth back in) ... he was mostly coloured using Derwent Inktense pencils, with some layers painted using a waterbrush as well as paint to get the thick fluffy fur.
The rose and its stem was painted with JD acrylics with highlights on the petals added using gesso.
Thankfully its art, so it didn't stress me out too much when my rose didn't look like a real one (not even close!), and my wolf, while still looking rugged and furry, lost his wild streak somewhere between the pencil sketch and giving him green eyes.
It was mostly enjoyable to create and as long as Lisa likes it, its all good :)
Thanks for reading my blog post :) Hope you have a wonderful, creative happy day!